Wednesday, July 17, 2013

To Beard or Not to Beard

I've had a beard for over 30 years. I have an unsightly mole on my upper lip, so I've also had a mustache since I first could grow one - I think it was the third grade.  Anyway..  There is something very Southern in having a beard. It seems most everywhere you go in the south, you find beards.  In fact, when you think of great modern beards, you immediately think of Southerners like ZZTOP or maybe these Southern guys:

If you don't know these guys, you're not watching the
TV Show, Duck Dynasty.
These guys have done more for the Southern Beard than just about anyone on the face of the planet.  What's more, they're millionaires.  But, of course, that's not due to the beards.  I'd like to think my beard could make me a millionaire, but that's just not gonna happen. 

Does the beard make the man or the man make the beard?  My own beard used be a full beard, kept at a professional length (what is a professional length?) as you can see the old me there at the right. Yep, that's me. (Yes, it was taken some time ago, but I'm not lying when I say that's me.) I grew the full beard back when I first got to the South and have only trimmed it different ways ever since.  There is something very Southern about a beard.  In my office, we all have beards. All except the ladies, of course.

It is the South, after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment