Wednesday, April 11, 2012

All in a Day's Work - or 2 or 3

So, like most of the country, I had a nice long weekend this last weekend. It was the big EASTER weekend, and I had even planned for an extra day giving me a nice long FOUR day weekend.  But, as the saying goes "The best laid plans of mice and men, do oft times go awry*." or, even better, the old Hebrew saying  "Man Plans, God Laughs."  Yeah, it was that kind of weekend.  

Friday morning I decided to go out to my shed and "putter' around.  No, it's not a golf term, it means to  occupy oneself in a desultory but pleasant manner, doing a number of small tasks.  (Why, yes, I do have a good vocabulary, thank you for noticing...)  Unfortunately, the shed didn't care for my vocabulary nor for my 'puttering' about and I discovered a huge leak in the roof.  Water damage, tears and anguish abounds.  

So, my weekend was now turned into 'fix the roof of the shed.'  First, remove the old leaky wood and shingles.  

Here is the roof gone...viewed from inside the messy shed. 
Same view from outside the messy shed.  

Now a lot of guys, especially in the South, would call their buddies and everyone with a set of overalls or low rider pants would show up to help fix the roof of the shed. Nope, not me.  First, I like doing this stuff, but more importantly, I don't know that many guys to give a call.  Most of my friends are off working, located in far flung areas of the south, and well, it's got to be done, so there I am, I'm up on the roof, putting wood in by myself.  

Saturday, shingles, shingles and more shingles.  Then on Sunday, more shingles.  Amazing how such a small shed can take me so long to put in shingles.  BUT, with perseverance...and a lot of ice cold water, and not a few pain killers...
Finished.  So Sunday night there I am sitting and trying to keep my aching calves and screaming back from keeping me awake.  The end of day 3 of a 4 day weekend.  That can mean only one thing for my day off on Monday. 

Mow the lawn.  
Sigh......

========
Edit to add:  My brother Bubba, the retired English Teacher tells me that the real phrase is "The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men Gang aft agley"  I'm serious. Bubba knows these things.  Someone get me a beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment