Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Need to Pick up a Pickup


Well, I've gone and done it. I went and told one of my good ol' suthun neighbors that I was interested in getting a pickup. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, that should be a good thing. And yes, owning a pickup is just another in the long line of great 'suthun' things that one might need to be considered one of the natives. (Right behind a chain saw and a hunting dog.)

But you see, I told him I was interested in the truck above.

Yes, it looks good. And yes, I really am considering it for when I have a nice pocket full of change.

The reason for my neighbor's disgust is that the above pickup is totally electric. And an Electric Pickup just doesn't seem to get the Suthun Man's juices flowing the way, say, a V-8 Powered PickEmUp DO. The truck in question is the 1998 Chevy S10 EV. Now, Chevy notwithstanding, the S10 EV was considered at the time to be at the forefront of the electric vehicle revolution. Its sister, the EV-1 (a sedan sold through Saturn Dealers on lease programs) made quite a splash when the two were introduced.
By today's standards, with hybrids and Chevy's new VOLT in the on-deck circle, the EVs' paltry 50-70 mile range is laughable at best. BUT in today's economy when my wife and I spend our weekends at home and don't drive much other than to run to and from the grocery stores (yes, bubba plural) and the ever increasing trips to the hardware store for mower parts and potting soil, (a mere 2-5 miles per trip, even if you include a swing through the drive-in at the burger joint) and coupled with ever rising costs of gasoline (Yikes, $4 a gallon?? Really?) this would be the answer to a prayer.

But even Neighbor Bubba looked askance at me when I mentioned the electric pickup. "What's next?" he asked, "You gonna teach one of your CATS to hunt?" (That got a good laugh from the assembled.)

I still think the electric pickup is what I need for my future, and if anyone has a spare $10 or 12 G's sitting around, send it my way. You can find me here in the South, bein' laughed at by the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment