Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chalk it up to the South

"I Believe In You!"
Every morning, I get off the bus for work and walk down one block to enjoy the city.  I get a snootful from the place that's cooking bacon and I get a few minutes to relax and look at the art on the walls of the Art Galleries (4 of them) along this street.  

Monday, I had a bit of a surprise, as you see there at the top.  Someone had left a nice thought in multi-colored chalk on the sidewalk right outside the bacon place.  It made me smile to such a degree I had to stop and take a picture.  Then I headed on. 

Only a few steps further, and I found another drawing.
Happy Day
And yet another.  Then I saw that they continued all the way down this one block.  There was barely enough light from the art galleries to take the pics, but my flash made sure I didn't miss any of it. 
"You Are Loved"
When I got to work I showed the collection of shots to a couple of people and we endeavored to figure out what was the motivation behind this Chalk Mural.
"Dream Big"
One person thought it might have something to do with the monthly First Saturday Art Crawl here in Downtown Nashville. Near 100 people attend every month and enjoy art openings and special receptions. 
"The World Is Beautiful"
Could this be the work of the Downtown Partnership as part of the Art Crawl? 
"If you want to live low, live low.
If you want to live high, live high."

The second person I showed the shots to thought it might have been the work of one or two people for someone else.  Someone with a special interview, perhaps, starting a new job or even new in town. 
The last idea was that it was the work of a couple of college students high on life and with more chalk than things to do on a Weekend. 
'I believe in you! You can do the thing! :)
The drawings were just amateur enough to make this more plausible, but there just doesn't seem to be a cohesive agreement here at the office nor enough evidence for anyone to guess one way or the other.  .
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who
mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
"Positive Mind Positive Life" - "Follow your Bliss"

"Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein"
The most interesting part of this is that 15 minutes after I took these pictures and was at work, it started to rain, washing away the mural in a matter of minutes.  I may have been one of the few people who saw it in its original state.
"As long as humans live, happiness is possible."
I'm glad I got the pics, first because I really doubt anyone at work would have believed me.  So it's nice to have 'evidence.'
"You can be anything you ewant to be when you grow up"
And second because I'm happy to have them all to put here for your enjoyment. 
"Make today the best day of your life"
So, if you're looking for a way to spread a little joy, and don't have plans this evening, pick up a package of colored chalk and decorate a sidewalk for someone in your life.

Just another way to bring a piece of the South into your own area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment